Essential oils have the ability to detoxify and oxygenate the body, something that research has found to help children with special needs. Essential oils affect emotions via smell, which is “felt” by the brain and in cells in ways that normal medicine cannot interact.
Essential oils aren’t a replacement for dietary change, medical attention, or mainstream occupational therapy. They are meant to supplement those things and give you a new way to interact and care for your child in an intimate way.
We are not experts, doctors, or nurses. We are just sharing our experiences, our peers stories, and our research. These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA nor are they intended to treat or cure any disease.
“Is any sick among you? Let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord.” -James 5:14
What are essential oils?
“Essential oils” is the name given to oils extracted from plant leaves, seeds, bark, stems, roots, flowers. “Essential oil” is not one oil. It is a classification for many different types of oil – each with their own unique properties.
Essential oils are safe:
- They are highly-concentrated extracts from plants
- They are 50-70 times more powerful than herbs
- You cannot overdose on essential oils
There are different grades of essential oils:
- Synthetic – perfume or industrial
- Food – generally recognized as safe (GRAS) FDA standard
- Therapeutic – health benefits
Essential oils are effective:
- Your body will not become immune to them
- Your body treats essential oils like food
- Essential oils can penetrate cell walls
- “Sesquiterpenes” oxygenate at the cellular level which brings the release of toxins and promotes circulation. Studies reveal that Sesquiterpenes in oils like Cedarwood cross the blood brain barrier and oxygenate the pineal and pituitary glands and to stimulate the limbic region of the brain.
Essential oils are inexpensive:
- Ex. Peppermint is 7 cents per drop
How do you use essential oils?
- Aromatherapy via a “diffuser”
- Biggest pores are on the bottom of your feet
Essential oils are used by:
- Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville, TN
- Dentists and oral surgeons
- Primary care physicians
- Physical therapists
- Alzheimer care facilities
Essential oils can help in a variety of ways:
- Helps relax muscles
- Helps with upset/sour stomach
- Helps maintain healthy intestinal flora
- Provides support for the nervous system
- Maintains healthy lung function
- Supports the lungs and sinuses
- Helps alleviate occasional nervous irritability
- Supports the immune system
- Supports healthy joint and cartilage function
- Helps support healthy bone structure
- Aids a healthy immune system
- Helps maintain cholesterol levels already in the normal range
- Helps alleviate minor aches and pains associated with daily life
- Reduces absentmindedness
- Helps maintain blood sugar levels already in the normal range
- Helps promote emotional well-being
|Common Issues||Essential Oils|
|Occasional irregularity or trouble potty training||DiGize supports digestive function; is a digestive aid.|
|Lack of focus* or memory issues||Vetiver, Cedarwood, or Peppermint may reduce absentmindedness. A blend of Frankincense, Orange, and Valor may supply a variety of health benefits.|
|Occasional muscle spasms||Aroma Siez helps relax muscles.|
|Trouble receiving information from senses||A blend of Vetiver, Ylang Ylang, Frankincense, Clary Sage, and Marjoram may supply a variety of health benefits.|
|Shame or problems with self-acceptance||Grapefruit helps promote emotional well-being. Valor enhances an individual’s internal resources.|
|Unconscious quirks of speech||A blend of Lavender, Vetiver, Cedarwood, Brain Power, Valor, and Frankincense may supply a variety of health benefits.|
|Meltdowns or over-stimulation||A blend of Valor, Frankincense, Lavender, and Ylang Ylang may supply a variety of health benefits.|
|Trouble falling asleep||Peace & Calming can be used for occasional sleeplessness.|
*Dr. Terry Friedmann, MD, found in clinical tests (1999-2001) that Lavender, Vetiver, and Cedarwood oil were able to successfully treat ADD and ADHD (attention deficit disorders) in children. The following were the results of his studies for each essential oil studied:
- Lavender increased performance by 5%
- Cedarwood increased performance by 83%
- Vetiver increased performance by 100%
Young Living products that may help children with special needs:
- Brain Power – Supports mental clarity and concentration.
- Cedarwood – Calming and purifying.
- Copaiba – Supports the body’s natural response to injury or irritation.
- Di-Gize – Supports digestive function.
- EndoFlex – Supports endocrine system, which is responsible for regulating cortisol.
- Frankincense* – Arouses the limbic system of the brain.
- Joy* – Uplifting, may help with the blues.
- KidScents – Mild-blends of the most common essential oils.
- Lavender – Calms and relaxes the nervous system.
- Peace & Calming* – Helps to reduce nervousness, stress and the blues.
- Peppermint* – Aids in digestion; may improve concentration and mental sharpness.
- SARA or Trauma Life – Helps relieve deep emotional wounds.
- Thieves* or Thyme – Supports the immune system.
- Valor* – Detoxifies, promotes courage and self esteem.
- Vetiver – Calms and relaxes.
*Included in the Premium Starter Kit.
- MightZyme chewable or EssentialZyme caplets – Digestive enzyme supplements.
- Mineral Essence – Contains 60 different minerals for proper immune function.
- Super B – B12 to promote proper nervous system function.
- Mineral Green – Contains Spirulina, a natural detoxifying element, and green foods.
- Life 5 probiotic – Supports digestive function.
Premium Starter Kit Includes:
- Joy – Refreshing and uplifting; promotes emotional well being.
- Frankincense – Helps focus the mind to overcome stress and despair.
- Lemon – Refreshing in water; Supports the nervous and sympathetic nervous system.
- Lavender – Assists the body when adapting to stress or imbalances; helps calm.
- Peppermint – Aids digestion; may improve concentration and mental sharpness.
- Purification – Cleanses the skin and air.
- Panaway – Helps alleviate minor aches and pains associated with daily life.
- Peace & Calming – Helps calm tensions and uplift the spirit; promotes relaxation.
- Stress Away – Helps alleviate occasional nervous irritability.
- Thieves – Supports the immune system.
- Valor – Promotes emotional well being.